[hpsdr] From ALTERA: : Simple Procedure for Quickly Updating Firmware on Mercury, Pennylane and Other HPSDR Boards

Lester Veenstra lester at veenstras.com
Fri Mar 30 15:51:35 PDT 2012

Product Sub-area: USB Blaster

Version Found In: v11.1 Service Pack 1

Device Family: MISC

Title

Why am I unable to see my USB-Blaster in a 64-bit version of the Quartus II
software version 11.1 SP2?

Description

There is an issue in the 64-bit version of the Quartus® II software version
11.1 SP2 that installed the USB-Blaster™ driver on your Windows Vista, XP,
or 7 64-bit machine. Due to this issue you will be unable to locate the
USB-Blaster in the Quartus II software programmer.

Workaround / Fix

To correct this driver installation issue you will need to install patch
2.11 for the Quartus II 11.1sp2 software. If you are seeing this issue in
Quartus II version 11.1sp1 you will first need to upgrade to Service Pack 2
before installing the patch.

Procedure for installing the patch:

1. Run <acds install directory>\quartus\bin\jtagserver --uninstall

2. Install patch

3. Run <acds install directory>\quartus\bin\jtagserver --install (if on
64-bit, run bin64\jtagserver)

This issue only affects 64-bit versions of the Quartus II software. 32-bit
installations are not affected.

The following patch can be used to fix the issue in Quartus II 11.1 SP2:

• Quartus II Software version 11.1 SP2 Patch 2.11 for Windows

• Readme for the Quartus II software version 11.1 SP2 Patch 2.11

This issue will be fixed in a future version of the Quartus II software.

Lester B Veenstra  MØYCM K1YCM

=============================

Subject: RE: [hpsdr] Simple Procedure for Quickly Updating Firmware on
Mercury, Pennylane and Other HPSDR Boards

Bob:

    Looks like time to open my problem to a wider audience, to recap:

   Also trying to use the Chinese clones of the "USB BLASER"

On a Windows 7 64 bit system

Appear to have the drivers loaded ok from

C:\altera\11.1sp2\qprogrammer\drivers\usb-blaser

Control panel reports

Altera USB-Blaser

Port_#0004.Hub_#0005

Altera 3/18/2011  2.8.14.0 Not digitally signed

C:\Windows\syswow64\usbblstr32.dll FTDI Ltd 3.02.04

Started up :  quartus-pgmw

Click the "Hardware Setup" button:   Done

"USB BLaster" should appear as a line in the Hardware Setup window that
opens:   But it does not !

Any suggestions?

Lester B Veenstra  MØYCM K1YCM

lester at veenstras.com