[hpsdr] Favorit soldering method ?

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 13:16:45 PST 2012

On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 12:45 PM, roland etienne <roland.etienne at free.fr> wrote:

> I’ve been lucky to get an Hermes PCB, and I am now collecting all the components. I am wondering what is your favourite method to solder all the ICs and oscillators: iron, hot air or refusion oven ?
>
> Surely, I will buy an hot air station, any model recommended ?
>
> I would like to make some test with a refusion oven, any advice? Is it possible to do several passes ?

There is an endless supply of test material for experimenting with an
oven.  Just take apart any dead consumer device like an old VCR or
computer. Heat the pcb and tap it on the table top and parts will rain
down. (tap them into a baking pan or they tiny parts will bounce onto
the floor and you will never find them.)  Then you have a (nearly)
blank PCB and parts, what more would you need for practice?

I think if you are going to build a complex PCB in a reflow oven you'd
need a stencil and solder paste.   Without the sticky paste you'd
shake the parts of their pads.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California