[hpsdr] Favorit soldering method ?

Greg Clark greg at bigredbee.com
Thu Mar 8 13:36:33 PST 2012

Roland,

I use a fine tipped  syringe to put the solder paste onto the pads  Works
well for 0603 and even 0402 sized components, but tends to put down too
much paste for  fine pitch parts (which I just clean up after reflow).  I,
too, use a toaster oven to make the UHF and VHF beacons and APRS
transmitters that I sell.  I hear that a convection oven is better than a
non-convection oven.  I line the tray in my (cheap) oven with ceramic floor
tiles to even out the heat.

As far as hot air pencil goes, I got mine from SparkFun -- about $100 and
works very well, especially for removing parts.

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10706

-Greg Clark K7RKT http://www.bigredbee.com