[hpsdr] Favorit soldering method ?

Terry Fox tfox at knology.net
Thu Mar 8 14:34:11 PST 2012

I’ve used hand soldering, skillet, toaster oven, and hot air.  Paste and a stencil work best with skillets or toaster ovens.  I doubt that you have a stencil for Hermes... For misc soldering, I normally use either an iron with a very fine tip and wick, or hot air.

For hot air, you can get an “embossing tool” for about $20.  These are small heat guns (pencils?).  They tend to be less controlled, blow a lot (which is not good for very small parts), and can actually burn the board – or your workbench – if you are not careful.

I have found the X-Tronic 4040 to be a good tool.  It has both a nice soldering iron with very small tips, and a decent hot-air wand.  It usually costs in the $110-150 area.  They are available on Amazon and ebay, and they are occasionally on sale.  You get the 4040, ten spare tips (including a few of the very fine tip), and spare heating elements for both the iron and hot air wand.  Supposedly, many of the parts are compatible with other more well-known brand units.  Not sure if you can get them via european online stores and avoid extra costs.

Happy soldering!
Terry, WB4JFI