[hpsdr] Favorit soldering method ?

Kjell Karlsen la2ni at online.no
Thu Mar 8 14:58:11 PST 2012

Hi Roland.

The "best" solution is to use a reflow oven but there is one drawback: The
method to apply the solder paste is very important. In my opinion the only
way to do it properly is by using a Laser Stencil but then you run into
another problem: You have to place all components on the PCB before it
goes into the oven. It takes too long time to do this as the paste dries
too fast. You do not have much more than one hour available and that is to
short time for all the components. It is possible to use the stencil and
apply paste only on the IC´s and other difficult components and solder
only those in the oven. Afterwards it is easy to install the rest manually
one by one.

I have a reasonable priced hot air soldering station (AOYUE Int2738) and a
Quartz Infared Pre-heating Station (AOYUE INT853A). You find one vendor in
England. You must also buy the right nozzles for the IC´s but they have
all in stock. I start to place all the IC´s correctly and solder 2 pins
diagonally. When I am sure they are correctly placed, i apply a narrow row
of paste along the pins on all sides. Use very little of paste but it is
easy to remove the excess solder afterwards using a dry, clean soldering
iron or a narrow solder wick. Be careful so no paste gets under the IC.
When all the IC´s are in place put the PCB on the pre-heater, set it to
250 deg.C and wait until this temperature is reached (after 1,5-3 min).
Then use the hot air tool to heat each component until you see the solder
melt. It is best to do some training on a scrap PCB and old IC´s. I did
some practices on old PC cards (Old VGA and Audio cards are fine) first by
removing the IC´s and then solder them back. I use the pre-heater also to
remove the parts.

In fact there are only a few of the components on Hermes (LTC2208 and
LTC6400) that are difficult to solder manually using only a soldering iron
with a narrow tip (0,4 mm). I have found that it is easier to get good
results when using higher temperatures than normally advised (350 deg.C)
and I also prefer a small 80W iron (Weller WSP 80 or equivalent). With
this the soldering process goes much faster and also introduce less stress
to the components. The tip must be kept clean all the time and DO NOT USE
LEAD LESS SOLDER! In my opinion it is a disaster.

One tip when using Solder Wick to remove excess solder: Apply fresh flux
to the wick before use, it is much more efficient then.

I have built 2 Hermes Beta that has been in use for nearly 2 years and at
least one of them will be dismantled and the expensive components
installed on a new PCB. I may keep one just for fun but I do not think the
software for the USB version will be updated.

Enjoy the work and I hope to meet you on the band with Hermes in both ends!

73, Kjell

På Thu, 08 Mar 2012 21:45:24 +0100, skrev roland etienne