[hpsdr] Using an HPSDR in the Commonwealth Contest

w3sz 73w3sz at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 13:54:36 PDT 2012

Since people have started talking about controllers, I will add my 2
cents worth...

I used the Griffin years ago with my SDR1000 and then with the Flex5000,
and didn't like its feel, or the fact that it seemed to 'lose its
connection' and I would have to fiddle around to get the device
recognized again.

Several years ago I got a Contour Design ShuttlePro, and I really like
its feel and it has been absolutely solid for me both from a hardware
standpoint, and from a software standpoint...never once have I had it
'lose its connection', never once have I had it need to have the driver
restarted, etc.  It just works.  Always.

http://retail.contourdesign.com/?/products/23

I currently am running it on a MacPro which has VNC connections to 6
simultaneous PowerSDR sessions running on separate computers running Win
XP, each controlling a different SDR, and it works flawlessly across the
VNC for all 6 sessions, and has done so for several years with no
failures or problems.

I couldn't imagine being without it.  In addition to the 'knob', it has
14 programmable buttons.

73,
Roger Rehr
W3SZ