[hpsdr] questions about the protocol (v1.36)

David McQuate mcquate at sonic.net
Sat Mar 17 11:59:14 PDT 2012

(4th question):   --

   If multiple Mercury boards are to be used some jumpers on the boards
must be set.  These identify which Mercury is #1, etc.  If multiple
receivers on a single Mercury are to be used, no jumper changes are
needed.  (See info on diversity setup)

(from USB_protocol_V1.36.doc) --

The low order bit of c0 (the MOX bit) switches the radio to Tx if the
bit is 1.
If you click the "MOX" button on PowerSDR or KISS Konsole, that program
sets this bit, which controls the T/R relay.

If C0 is (binary) 0000 001x, the content of c1, c2, c3, c4 specifies the
frequency for Penelope, PennyLane and (future) Apollo ATU.

if c0 is 0000 010x, c1,c2,c3,c4 specifies the frequency (in Hz) for
receiver 1 (numbering starts with 1)
similarly
c0
0000 011x   receiver 2
0000 100x  receiver 3
0000 101x  receiver 4

(While this document shows that there are provisions in the PC to HPSDR
data protocol for more receivers (up to 7), there is no Mercury firmware
that supports more than 4 receivers.  The Mercury FPGA usage is near
100%, so, unless there's a major change in algorithm and re-writing, 4
will remain the upper limit.

When using more than one receiver on a single Mercury, when c0 = 0000
000x,   in c4, the 3 bits indicated by "rrr" xxrr rxxx should be set as
follows:   000 means one receiver, 001 means two recevers, etc

73,
Dave
wa8ywq