[hpsdr] questions about the protocol (v1.36)

Erik Anderson erikba at odysseus.anderson.name
Sat Mar 17 09:13:18 PDT 2012

I've been going over the protocol spec for a little while now (there's an
awful lot of stuff in here) and there are a few questions I could use some
clarification on:

(*) What is MOX?

(*) How do I interrogate the CC bits (for autodetection purposes) without
actually fully turning the radio on?  I'm assuming that it's inherently
impossible to do this (unless [00]C1[67]=00 has any meaning), in which case
I'm curious as to whether there is a neutral configuration that I can send
that would work in all cases so I can turn it on long enough to get the CC
codes (i.e. without unnecessary clicking, alex filter swaps, conflict with
custom clock rewriting, blowing out the ADC, etc)

(*) Should the PC reset its sending sequence number on every EFFE04
command?  The documentation makes multiple references to "start" and "stop"
commands, although after sending an EFFE0401 command, there is no really
clear indication as to whether EFFE0402 is a "stop" or a "start" command
(it's both).  Am I resetting only when the board is going completely idle
(i.e. only after EFFE0400)?

(*) (I'm fairly sure this one has come up often enough to be on a FAQ
somewhere) I remember reading that the current mercury firmware now
supports 4 receivers on the stable branch.  However the protocol makes no
distinction between receivers and boards, permitting you to receive from up
to 4 receivers and set the frequency on up to 7.  How does one specify
which board each receiver is assigned to?