[hpsdr] Hermes - initial powerup

Joe Martin K5SO k5so at valornet.com
Thu Mar 29 17:08:53 PDT 2012

Hi Erik,

I didn't notice a response to your questions so I'll give them a go.

As I recall, if multiple receivers are requested from Hermes v1.3 by a PC program Hermes will continue to output a data stream that IQ values in the stream that is appropriate for single receiver operation but the PC will be expecting "interleaved" IQ values from multiple receivers.  This will usually cause "distorted" noise to be heard in the audio output channels and/or a large central spike in the panadapter display with no discernable signals present in the display, unless of course the PC program does some kind of "firmware version checking" in which case the PC program will usually halt execution of the PC program as the expected firmware version number will not be received by the PC.

No interleaved data streams of entirely zeroes will be produced by Hermes v1.3 when a PC program asks for multiple receivers.

A multiple-receiver-compatible version of firmware for Hermes will be produced and released to replace Hermes v1.3 as soon as possible, I'm sure.

I hope that answers your questions satisfactorily.

73,  Joe K5SO