[hpsdr] Visual Studio version for PowerSDR...

George Byrkit ghbyrkit at chartermi.net
Fri Mar 30 14:22:15 PDT 2012

TO be correct about it, one NEVER combines C, C++ and C# (or with VB.Net) in
the same project!  One can combine projects, one language per project, in a
single SOLUTION, but never in a single project.  PowerSDR is a single
solution with a number of projects.  Some projects are C# and some are C.
I'm not sure that there is actually any C++.

And to be further correct, one does NOT link (use a build-time linker) C#
and C or C++ in any way.  The C or C++ code must be linked into a DLL that
is referenced from the C# code.  This referencing is done using those
cryptic[ DLLImport] statements in the code.  So in this way it is quite
possible to build parts of PowerSDR in the 'free' single-language versions,
as the linking that Joe postulates never actually occurs.

KISS Konsole can be built in the free C# version of Visual Studio (currently
VS2008).  We have NOT moved the mainline code for either forward to VS2010
or the beta for VS2011 just so that people with VS2008 are not left out in
the cold.  In general, it is not the code itself that is changed, but the
solution file and project file that are changed.

I don't just play a programmer on TV, I am one.  And have been for over 35
years.  Only about 12 years C# experience.  Maybe 30+ yrs C experience and
about 20+ years C++ experience.

73,
George K9TRV