[hpsdr] Visual Studio version for PowerSDR...

Joe Martin K5SO k5so at valornet.com
Fri Mar 30 13:55:32 PDT 2012

Pete,

I think Doug uses VS 2008.  Here, I use VS2008 with no problem compiling either Bill's or Doug's source code.  I suspect the newer Visual Studio versions will work fine too, with possibly some minor messing around after the new VS version "converts" the VS2008 code to a form that it likes.

The most important issue to address is that to be practical you need a full blown version of Visual Studio in order to work with PowerSDR source code efficiently, not their free single-language VS versions, because PowerSDR combines C#, C++, and C code in one project.  The free single-language versions of VS can't do that.  While it is in principle possible to use multiple versions of the free VS to individually compile the various components (one version for C# modules, a different version for C versions, etc) then link them together externally I've never been able to pull it off that way and it is much more work than using a full blown VS version that does everything you need to do all in one single project.

73,  Joe K5SO