[hpsdr] Visual Studio version for PowerSDR...

Erik Anderson erikba at odysseus.anderson.name
Fri Mar 30 17:01:26 PDT 2012

Not sure whether I should wait for one of the "Real HPSDR Developers" on
this list to say something before jumping in first.  I've done a bit of
coding in C#, but in my mind the reasons are very similar to those of
coding in Java (without the platform independence of course).  C#
"protects" you from doing stupid things like buffer overflows or null
pointer dereferences, turning them into thrown errors but never things that
can crash or exploit the system.  In exchange, you need to do things the
"dull / normal" way.  I'm more likely to choose C++ over C# when I need to
code "unsafely" or interface with a lot of high-speed low-level stuff
without wanting to pay the marshalling cost incurred on every switch
into/out of C#.  I'm more likely to choose C# when I want to code something
relatively quickly using pieces already developed by the system and where
correctness is more important than speed (and I don't want to do as much
error checking).

Plus C# will automatically take advantage of 64bit machines and (on Windows
8) ARM architectures, for C++ you need to spit out a different version of
your program for each one.  This last point has gotten rather annoying at
times.