[hpsdr] Ideas for Munin Picked up at Dayton Hamvention

Bob Mahrenholz bobm at edge.net
Wed May 23 08:17:41 PDT 2012

Sent this out a few days ago and didn't get any comments. Thought
maybe it did not go.
Bob

Hello Everyone,

I really enjoyed Dayton this year. After looking at all of the booths
in the Exhibit Hall,
I scoured the outdoor flea market looking for a small diameter
co-axial cable to use in
winding T1 for the output stage of Munin.

I found my answer at several of the places selling microwave
components. It is RG-178,
(Belden 83265). It has an outside diameter of only 0.71 inches (1.803
mm). The center
conductor is 30 AWG, insulation is Teflon, and the shield is silver
plated copper braid.
Outer jacket is FEP. It's impedance is 50 ohms rather 25 but I do not
think that this would
be a problem with the short length involved. Mouser's price is
$364.62 for a 100' spool.
(See below)

It is a true co-axial cable rather than the "Control and
Instrumentation Cable" that Belden
83705 is. (Incidentally the 83705 is listed as "obsolete" in the
Belden Catalog.)

The RG-178 may be found in Belden's Catalog:

         https://edeskv2.belden.com/Products/#s=rg-178&r=0

Click on the cable number and then click on "Detail".

I purchased some 50' of the RG-178 at the Hamfest ($10  for a 25 foot
roll). if someone
would like to try out a piece. I don't know what length it would take
for a single board
but maybe some one of you knows.

At the TAPR presentation at Dayton by Steven Bible, N7HPR, the TAPR president,
I learned that one of the functions of TAPR is to assist in the
development of new
boards. I propose that we get TAPR to purchase a 100 foot roll of
Belden 83265 and
then sell it in appropriate lengths to those of us putting together a
Munin board.

73,
Bob, K4QQK

p.s. Kjell, thanks for the info on the current measuring pins of J1.