[hpsdr] Ideas for Munin Picked up at Dayton Hamvention

Kjell Karlsen la2ni at online.no
Wed May 23 14:06:35 PDT 2012

Hi Bob.

Sorry for not replying before, I have been very busy after coming home
 from Crete.

I have done some more tests using different types of shielded wire on the
T1.25X ferrite core and also an old T1.25-61. It seems as the permeability
of the old one is higher so the return loss at 1.8 MHz is much lower.
However, the linear power output is good and so is the efficiency even if
the return loss is only 11 dB on 1.8 MHz.

The AVG22 shielded wire I have good access to is good even if I can see a
very small increase in return loss using AVG20, that I have very limited
access to. Using T1.25X, the return loss are:

1.8 MHz: 11 dB
30 MHz: 16.5 dB
50 MHz: 21 dB.

This is with only 330 pF for the compensating capacitor. That means that
only 270 pF is needed in addition to the two 100 pF from each Drain.

The old T1.25-61 has the following return losses:

1.8 MHz: 19 dB
30 MHz:16.5 dB
50 MHz: 19.3 dB.

The best compensating capacitor is 300 pF for this one (250 pF + the two
100 pF)

There must be possible to find AVG20 shielded wire for this transformer or
25 Ohm coax that is not too thick.

With T1.25X and 330 pF compensating capacitance, the small signal gain
varies +-4 dB from 1.5 to 55 MHz. When testing with 100W PEP, the GPB
settings varies from 57 dB on 1.8 MHz to 52 db on 30 and 50 MHz so there
is a lot of excess gain without the preamplifier installed.

The gain variation is of no importance when using HPSDR units as exciters,
the Gain Per Band takes care of this. It might be possible to level this
gain variation so you are free to experiment with this.

73, Kjell