[hpsdr] Hpsdr Digest, Vol 81, Issue 4

glen worstell glen at worstell.com
Sat Nov 3 17:50:43 PDT 2012

Re Hermes V1.8 manual errors -

1) The requirement indicate that jacks are required for audio, etc. This
is incorrect - plugs are required. I might also suggest that it should
be indicated what kind of plugs are required - 3.5 mm plugs can have no
rings, one ring, or two rings.

2) There is no clue about what  RF connectors are required (SMA male?)

3) J17 pins are not numbered, so it is difficult to tell which is pin 1
and which is pin 2.

4) Ditto for J20.

5) The LEDs on the board are numbered differently than is indicated in
the manual. For example, there is no LED7, which indicates the state of
the internet connection.

On the plus side, I thank all of the talented people that did the
engineering and software work. It appears that the Hermes will be a
great product for me, once I get the wiring, chassis, and amplifier work
done.

I managed to get my hermes working (receive only, so far) by making some
good guesses about the jumpers and LEDs. The audio plug requirements are
obvious, but the required rf connectors can not be deduced from the
photos and other info in the manual.

cheers,

g.   KG0T