[hpsdr] Questions re internal and external LPF on Penelope, Penny Lane and Hermes

John Marvin jm-hpsdr at themarvins.org
Mon Nov 5 20:53:00 PST 2012

  I was looking at a FAQ on Penelope that addressed why Penelope has no
filtering on the output. That got me interested in looking at how things
have changed going from Penelope to Penny Lane to Hermes:

1) Without any filtering I would think that there would have been a fair
amount of aliased output. In some cases people use that as a feature,
i.e. deliberately use the aliasing to generate desired signals in ranges
above the Nyquist rate. That was even mentioned as a possible feature of
Penelope.  But at the same time it was claimed that at 0.5 W output,
Penny Lane meets the FCC requirements without additional filtering. How
far down was the signal in the Fs/2 - Fs range compared to the DC - Fs/2
range?

2) So, after all the good arguments for no filtering, two filters were
added to Penny Lane, an RLP-40+ and what appears to be series LC
band-stop discrete filter. Were the original arguments not valid, or was
there another reason for doing this?

3) Then yet another LPF filter was added to Hermes (an LFCV-52+). Why
was this added?

4) The Penelope FAQ claimed that no external filtering was needed at
0.5watt, yet the user guide for Hermes claims that an external LPF is
always needed, even with all the additional filtering.  Is that actually
true? If so, what are the sources of out of band signals that exceed the
FCC requirements that didn't exist on Penelope?

5) Has anyone done any detailed measurements on Hermes TX output?

6) Has anyone ever tried doing VHF/UHF receive and/or transmit work on
Mercury and or Penelope/Penny Lane using undersampling/aliasing
techniques? If so, how and what was done (e.g. filters bypassed, FPGA
work done, etc.).  Has there ever been any consideration of adding
jumpers or other features to make it easier to bypass the input and
output LPF filters in order to explore this possibility (which would
require external band pass filtering)?

Thanks!

John
AC0ZG