[hpsdr] Questions re internal and external LPF on Penelope, Penny Lane and Hermes

Kjell Karlsen la2ni at online.no
Tue Nov 6 02:30:35 PST 2012

Hi John.

I have been following the development of Hermes and have done the
measurements of the output spectrum. I found that the output from the PA
had too much noise and spurious due to pick up of direct and harmonics of
the clock oscillators by the amplifier.

The bandwidth of the PA is very high. To limit the bandwidth, 2 capacitors
were inserted on U7 inputs.

In addition, LFCV-52+ was included after the PA. After this modifications,
the alias from 50- 52 MHz, is >-50 dBc, at 53 MHz it is -45 dBc and at 54
MHz it is -40 dBc. The spurs and noise are very low, >60 dB down except
the 2.nd harmonic that is -40 dBc at 51 MHz. This means that Hermes can be
connected to the antenna  without any extra outboard filtering at 6 meter.

On the lower bands, the harmonics are on not suppressed by the LPF on the
output so be careful. On 20 meter, the 2.nd and 3.rd harmonics are only
-30 dBc.

If a PA is connected, a LP filter is needed. Harmonics are always
generated by the PA and must be removed to meet the FCC requirements.

It is not possible to use Hermes on higher order alias frequencies without
taking the signal directly from the DAC. There are no jumpers or other
provisions on the PCB to do so. FL1 must be removed to get access to T1.

The same is with the RX. There is no way of direct connection to the
Pre-amp without removing FL6.

I hope this answers most of your questions concerning Hermes. I have not
measured on Penny or Penny Lane.

By the way, we are working on a new and hopefully improved PA for a future
"Hermes PRO"

73, Kjell

På Tue, 06 Nov 2012 05:53:00 +0100, skrev John Marvin