[hpsdr] Possible enhancement for Angelia

John Marvin jm-hpsdr at themarvins.org
Wed Nov 7 02:42:44 PST 2012

  Since Angelia is planning on having two A/D channels, would it be
possible to "take a step backward" and provide a method of using the two
channels for wide bandwidth I/Q data? In particular, (I don't know if
there are licensing issues here), could room be found on the board (or
the other side) for a single USRP daughter card socket? Obviously the
socket has a lot of connections other than the I/Q inputs, and
additional FPGA work would need to be done, including the support for
controlling such a daughter card (I also don't know if there are enough
spare lines available for such control). This would allow Angelia to
take advantage of a variety of available daughter cards already
available for USRP/USRP2.

I'm sure people are going to say that if you want to use USRP daughter
cards just buy a USRP2.  But those are really expensive (I know Angelia
will also be fairly expensive), and people who prefer the features of
Angelia might like having the additional option of working with higher
frequencies (just not with the advantages of DDC), without having to
also buy a USRP2.

  I know there would be a variety of other issues, some I have thought
of (e.g. how to route the antenna input to either the daughter card or
directly to the ADC and the daughter card output then going to the ADC),
and probably others that I haven't considered.

Anyway, I just thought I'd put the idea out there for consideration.

Thanks,

John
AC0ZG