[hpsdr] working with ghpsdr3

David Bridgham dab at froghouse.org
Fri Nov 9 13:14:31 PST 2012

I am pleased to report that I finally put all the pieces together to get
my HPSDR (Metis and Mercury) working. Since I run Linux, I picked up
ghpsdr for the software side of things. The binaries didn't work but
given a little work with the sources of ghpsdr3, I am now able to listen
to radio. Very cool.

The work I did on ghpsdr3 was to fix three bugs having to do with
command line argument parsing (segfaults all) and turning off compiler
optimization to avoid an illegal instruction. I haven't tracked down
that last one yet so I don't know if it's a bug in gcc or a problem
that's simply exposed by the optimizer (it's an annoying one, I turned
off optimization because gdb couldn’t show me the code that was failing
because it was optimized and then the problem went away).

So my first question is: what should I do with these fixes? They're
simple enough but it seems I ought to get them back into the
distribution somehow.

The larger question is what code *should* I pay attention to? I've found
at least three versions of ghpsdr (ghpsdr, ghpsdr3, and ghpsdr-alex).
Maybe there are other choices for Linux that would be better. What I'd
like to work towards is digital modes (either hooking to fldigi or
implementing my own) and transverters for satellite work (some ideas for
UI stuff and hooking into gpredict for doppler tracking).

-Dave