[hpsdr] working with ghpsdr3

Dave Larsen kv0s.dave at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 19:04:42 PST 2012

Dave --

What version of Linux are you using?
John used a Ubuntu for development
I have also copiled the code under Mint (An Ubuntu variant) with little trouble.

John Melton G0ORX/N6LYT is the originator.

he wrote ghpsdr as a first attempt of a single receiver using GTK2 as the gui.

ghpsdr3 is an Is John's code with server and dspserver in C and
QTRadio written in Qt4
this is a version that allowed multiple receiver and server, dspserver
and Qt radio can be on the same machine or on different machines as
the connections are all ethernet.

There is a ghpsdr3-Qt which is a version written all in C++ with Qt4
with only FFTW3 as the only external dependence.

These three programs can be found under N6LYT on the HPSDR SVN
http://svn.tapr.org

Also for Linux you should consider Hermans cuSDR code which is in Qt.
found under DL3HVH

http://www.tapr.org

gpsdr3-alex is a fork of the ghpsdr3 code by Alex Lee, and others,
this group started from John's code and they had a different purpose
to develop a software that would work with  HPSDR, Softrock, UHFSDR,
Microtelecom Perseus, SDR-iq, HiQSDR, Ettus Research USRP and rtl-sdr
DVB-T dongles.

when you run the server you can make is available to anyone on the
Internet around the world.  Also you can let anyone around the world
transmit but of course all radio laws still apply so someone in the
transmit must be licensed.  Generally the TX capability is password
protected.

So if you want to make your radio available to others or your self at
different location this is the best choice for this purpose.

ghpsdr3-alex can be found on Git server github

 https://github.com/alexlee188/ghpsdr3-alex

the message protocols vary between many of these programs, so while
they all stem from the same source they generally have not maintained
cross program compatibility.

I hope this helps.

Dave KV0S

On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 3:14 PM, David Bridgham <dab at froghouse.org> wrote:

> I am pleased to report that I finally put all the pieces together to get
> my HPSDR (Metis and Mercury) working. Since I run Linux, I picked up
> ghpsdr for the software side of things. The binaries didn't work but
> given a little work with the sources of ghpsdr3, I am now able to listen
> to radio. Very cool.
>
> The work I did on ghpsdr3 was to fix three bugs having to do with
> command line argument parsing (segfaults all) and turning off compiler
> optimization to avoid an illegal instruction. I haven't tracked down
> that last one yet so I don't know if it's a bug in gcc or a problem
> that's simply exposed by the optimizer (it's an annoying one, I turned
> off optimization because gdb couldn’t show me the code that was failing
> because it was optimized and then the problem went away).
>
> So my first question is: what should I do with these fixes? They're
> simple enough but it seems I ought to get them back into the
> distribution somehow.
>
> The larger question is what code *should* I pay attention to? I've found
> at least three versions of ghpsdr (ghpsdr, ghpsdr3, and ghpsdr-alex).
> Maybe there are other choices for Linux that would be better. What I'd
> like to work towards is digital modes (either hooking to fldigi or
> implementing my own) and transverters for satellite work (some ideas for
> UI stuff and hooking into gpredict for doppler tracking).
>
> -Dave

KV0S - Dave Larsen
Columbia, MO, USA