[hpsdr] Pennylane Revision question (Tom Arnold K6AET)

Tom Arnold K6AET tom at k6aet.org
Mon Nov 26 20:10:49 PST 2012

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 02:05:38PM -0800, hpsdr-request at lists.openhpsdr.org wrote:
> I've searched around the various sites and read the documentation I could
> find and I cannot seem to figure out which revision Pennylane board I have.
>
> It has no silkscreened info on it.    I'm only even calling it a Pennylane
> and not Penelope as it has no open toroids on it.  The layout looks fairly
> close to the Pennylane pictures on the website except many parts aren't
> there, for example looking at the picture on http://openhpsdr.org/penny.php,
> the two yellow caps above right of the FPGA aren't there and no silkscreen
> for them and over where the two variable caps are behind the 3.5mm jack ( I
> can't read the names in this photo ), that area is empty.  No holes for
> parts just a lot of blank realestate.

Replying to my own question after much helpful information from Lyle
Johnson just in case anyone else winds up doing the same search I did.

Seems that this is a DJ8AY Penelope.  I got confused as it has no toroids on
it and no markings for them.  In fact, it has zero silkscreen whatsoever.

Now to figure out why it doesn't have the toroids or C71/C72...