[hpsdr] Questions re internal and external LPF on Penelope, Penny Lane and Hermes

John Marvin jm-hpsdr at themarvins.org
Wed Nov 7 14:20:25 PST 2012

Kjell,

Wow, no need to be sorry! Thanks so much for looking into this further.
It would seem that with the right software one could actually do the
measurements on a single hermes with the transmit output connected to
the receiver (with the 20db attenuator enabled). As already mentioned in
the VNA setup documentation, it might be better to use a 6db external
attenuator when connecting output to input, not so much for the
attenuation but to ensure that a proper impedance is seen by the
transmitter.

I haven't played with the two receiver mode of PowerSDR. What does it do
when transmitting? Is the second receiver still enabled during transmit
(I seem to remember that on older versions of PowerSDR the main window
switched to a transmit view while transmitting). Potentially you could
send the two-tone test and use the second receiver to move around the
spectrum looking at the various possible harmonics. But there may be
something that prevents that since I haven't tried it. I'll look into
that tonight. Since PowerSDR doesn't support the wide bandwidth view I
would likely miss anything non harmonically related.

Of course, using Hermes to measure itself could have a variety of
issues, so that such measurements may not be completely trustworthy. But
it still seems like an interesting exercise to me, given that I have no
other way of doing such a measurement.

Thanks,

John