[hpsdr] TAPR Hermes and ApacheLabs ANAN-10 combination. Help with Soldering solicited.

Gregory Ratcliff nz8r at att.net
Sat Nov 10 18:37:44 PST 2012

Larry,

I've been doing this for a long time, I'm sure you can handle it.

Flux and tin the pads with a little solder wick.  Only tin the pads you will immediately place a part on, the area will stay warm and allow better temperature rise later.  I use a 20 watt iron and a pair of tweezers.  Use the tweezers to hold the resister firmly in place or it will "tombstone".  SMT parts are amazingly tolerant of heat, but be careful, they are low mass and heat up quickly.

Hover the iron over a pad as close as you can without touching it.  No worries if you do touch it of course.  Wait until you see the solder sheen change, then add just a tiny touch of solder.  Voila.

With a little practice you will get the feel of how long it takes.  With my iron it's about 20 seconds; about 5 seconds if I apply direct heat.

Greg
Nz8r