[hpsdr] TAPR Hermes and ApacheLabs ANAN-10 combination. Help with Soldering solicited.

Stephen Hicks, N5AC steve at flexradio.com
Sat Nov 10 20:53:49 PST 2012

I recommend you buy a Kester Flux Pen from Mouser (part number 533-0951)
and EROP3CSA tweezers.  They are both inexpensive and will make your life a
lot easier.  If you want to complete your arsenal, get some good solder
wick, some q-tips (mouser sells these too) and a bottle of anhydrous
isopropyl alcohol made by MG Chemicals.  MG also sells anhydrous alcohol
wipes.

Steve

On Saturday, November 10, 2012, Gregory Ratcliff wrote:

> Larry,
>
> I've been doing this for a long time, I'm sure you can handle it.
>
> Flux and tin the pads with a little solder wick.  Only tin the pads you
> will immediately place a part on, the area will stay warm and allow better
> temperature rise later.  I use a 20 watt iron and a pair of tweezers.  Use
> the tweezers to hold the resister firmly in place or it will "tombstone".
>  SMT parts are amazingly tolerant of heat, but be careful, they are low
> mass and heat up quickly.
>
> Hover the iron over a pad as close as you can without touching it.  No
> worries if you do touch it of course.  Wait until you see the solder sheen
> change, then add just a tiny touch of solder.  Voila.
>
> With a little practice you will get the feel of how long it takes.  With
> my iron it's about 20 seconds; about 5 seconds if I apply direct heat.
>
> Greg
> Nz8r
>

> On Nov 10, 2012, at 9:12 PM, Larry J on his Dell LT <larry at foxgulch.com<javascript:;>>
> wrote:
>
> > ***** High Performance Software Defined Radio Discussion List *****
> >
> > I have in hand both my TAPR Hermes and Apache-Labs ANAN-10 kit. Although
> I've been soldering at electronic devices for over 50 years,  my skill set
> does not include surface mount components.  My seriously senior citizen
> eyes and hands don't  help either.
> >
> > In particular,  I don't know how to proceed to solder  the  teeny tiny
> coaxial connectors on the TAPR Hermes board at J28 and J29 needed for
> integration into the ANAN-10 kit.    For example, after adding some solder
> paste to the underside of the sockets, and cleaning the Hermes pads with
> flux,  do I need a hot air rework station to satisfactorily install these
> sockets?
> >
> > Thanks for any advice you can direct my way.
> >
> > Larry Jones  W0AY

Steve

Stephen Hicks, N5AC, AAR6AM
VP Engineering
FlexRadio Systems™
4616 W Howard Ln Ste 1-150
Austin, TX 78728
Phone: 512-535-4713 x205
Email: steve at flexradio.com
Web: www.flexradio.com
Click Here for PGP Public
Key<https://sites.google.com/a/flex-radio.com/pgp-public-keys/n5ac>

*Tune In Excitement™*
PowerSDR™ is a trademark of FlexRadio Systems