[hpsdr] Revised USB Protocol document

John Marvin jm-hpsdr at themarvins.org
Sat Nov 17 21:44:34 PST 2012

  From my perspective this document is written primarily for software
developers.  They might not read the schematics and realize that the
preamp setting and the Hermes attenuator setting both wind up
controlling the same device.  If they were to develop software using
this spec they might offer both options when they probably should offer
just one (The current version of PowerSDR that was modified for this
feature lets you choose whether to enable the Hermes attenuator and when
you do it  replaces the fixed -20 db attenuator).  If they offered both
and they set the Hermes attenuator to -10  they might not understand why
when they change the preamp setting that the signal level would only
change by 10 db rather than 20 db.

So in my opinion they interact, although it appears that the solution
chosen for implementation was the best possible choice, i.e. last
control takes effect, regardless which one it is, since that preserves
backward compatibility and make the most sense.

I just thought for those who aren't acquainted with all the internals
there should be something that lets people know that these two
independent C&C settings wind up changing the same device.

I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just explaining my perspective
as a software developer.

John
AC0ZG