[hpsdr] Hermes/ANAN-10 RX spurious signals?

Dick Lichtel dick221z at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 10:21:22 PST 2012

I didn't take any pics but the implementation is pretty simple.

Materials: Brass Shim sheet from Ace hardware , though pretty much
anything that can be soldered to can work.
                    Solder wick braid, used to ground the shield.
                    Double sided tape, used to support/insulate the shield.

I cut a piece of brass to fit over the 10 MHz area, it sits on top of
the jumpers.  There isn't any need to cut holes in the shield, its just
a rectanglar piece.

With the board positioned with the 10MHz SMA jack(J25) facing up, the
shield  fits between J8/J9 (doesn't cover those jacks) on the left
extends to J24 on the right (J24 is covered) . It rests on the J16 leads
at the top and covers the 122 Mhz Osc  at the bottom.  I soldered a
piece of braid from to the alignment hole on next to the 10MHz SMA jack
(J25) to the shield. The connection to ground should be as short as
possible.

All the jumpers/leads in the area (J20/J22/J23/J24 and the leads on J16)
should be covered with tape. There is a small piece of tape  placed on
the 122 MHz for support on the bottom left corner. For the bottom right
corner, there is stack of double sided tape. For the stack of tape, I
didn't peal off the covering, so it doesn't leave sticky stuff on the
caps & resistors.

With the shield in place, the 10Mhz spur + harmonics are completely gone.

Dick KD4JP

  I have not found any means to reduce the 24.5Mhz spurs. I think this
will require some support from Apache Labs.