[hpsdr] Hermes to PennyWhistle, Alex

John radio at mediacombb.net
Sun Nov 18 12:18:42 PST 2012

Can someone verify this is a correct method to interconnect Hermes,
Penny Whistle and Alex?

1.  Buy a 10 pin TE connector (Mouser 571-5103309-1) and solder it to
the Hermes circuit board for J16.  Plug the single connector end of the
cable supplied with Alex into this plug.  Plug the other end of the
cable into the two connectors on Alex.

2.  Buy a 26 pin TE connector housing (Mouser 571-1023876) and at least
two contacts suitable for use with this housing.  Attach wires to two
contacts and insert one in position 25 (PTT).  Insert the other wire in
one of the analog ground pins ***digital ground not listed on J26***.
Connect these two wires to the connector supplied with Penny Whistle as
shown in its documentation (PTT to bias, analog ground to ground).
Analog ground connections on Hermes J26 are pins 2 and 10.

3.  Hook up coax connections as shown in the Alex and Penny Whistle manuals.

I would like to be sure this is right before I order parts and, maybe,
blow something up.

73, John  WoGN