[hpsdr] TAPR Hermes J15 problem?

John radio at mediacombb.net
Fri Nov 30 13:30:43 PST 2012

Dave and group.  Thanks for the info.  There still may be a problem with
the board layout.

I decided to cut down the shrouded connector I had for J15 by hollowing
out one corner of its base to clear the two capacitors and cutting off
the end facing J19.
Here are photos showing how the connector was modified:

     http://www.n-connect.net/radio/Ham_Pix/Hermes%20Pix/Modified%20J15.JPG

http://www.n-connect.net/radio/Ham_Pix/Hermes%20Pix/Modified%20J15%20Top.JPG

However, now with the cable supplied with TAPR Alex, there will not be
enough clearance to use J19:

http://www.n-connect.net/radio/Ham_Pix/Hermes%20Pix/Modified%20J15%20interference.JPG

http://www.n-connect.net/radio/Ham_Pix/Hermes%20Pix/Modified%20J15%20interference%20top.JPG

According to the schematic I have (GAMMA v. 15):
             J19-2 goes to U17-4
             J19-3              u17-5
    whereas:
             J16-11 goes to U17-7
             J16-12             U17-6
In other words, these are different A/D inputs to Hermes.  They are not
in parallel.

Do I just hook my Penny Whistle VSWR signals up to J16 and forget J19?

73,

John,  WoGN