[hpsdr] TAPR Hermes J15 problem?

Bruce Beford bruce.beford at myfairpoint.net
Thu Nov 29 04:02:35 PST 2012

John,
I would use a straight male -header- not an enclosed jack. This will prevent
problems with the tight spacing between these two connectors. There is no
need or advantage to using a jack with the shell on it. As you note, there
is no room for the keyed shell. Just get it on right when you plug it in.

Also, you no doubt already know this, based on your pics, but others may not
have realized): you must mount the J15 connector on the top side of the
board, for the pin out to be correct. Note the red pin 1 notations on the
board pictures in the latest (v1.9) Hermes manual. J15 is laid out for top
mounting, J32 for bottom mounting. On a multi-layer board, you -don't- want
to get it wrong and have to remove it!

GL,
Bruce, N1RX