[hpsdr] Solder paste question

Graham / KE9H KE9H at austin.rr.com
Sat Oct 6 09:38:20 PDT 2012

John:

If you want to assemble Pennywhistle in a reflow oven (or similar)
using solder paste, then I second Bill's recommendation to buy
some solder paste from kd5ssj.  He sells it in about one-half
ounce syringes.  It only has a life of a month or two at room
temperature, so don't buy too much at once.  It will probably
last longer in a refrigerator.  One syringe is plenty to build one
Pennywhistle.

If you don't have access to a reflow oven, then some small
diameter solder with a rosin core, and a fine point temperature
controlled iron will work fine for Pennywhistle assembly.

I use Kester 44 solder, size 0.015 or 0.031.

If you want some extra flux, I recommend a flux pen such
as the #186 pen, sold by Mouser # 533-0186.  You do not have
to clean this flux, but if you want to, for aesthetic reasons,
it comes right off with rubbing alcohol and a "Q-tip."

I can't imagine that Home Depot would sell anything appropriate
for electronic reflow assembly.

--- Graham / KE9H

==