[hpsdr] PowerSDR Version Questions

Doug W5WC w5wc at windstream.net
Sat Oct 20 11:31:51 PDT 2012

Hi Mike,

The choice of which version to use will be based upon not only personal
preference but the hardware you are using. The RX1 version is less CPU
intensive and provides for a larger panadapter display area that would make
it better suited for small displays and slower processors. This version will
work on all valid firmware releases.

The RX2 version is processing the data streams for both receivers full time.
Even when the 2nd receiver is turned off on the console. This of course
makes it a very high CPU intensive program. The addition of the controls for
the 2nd receiver takes up a tremendous amount of space on the console and
makes the panadapter display much harder to see on smaller displays. This
version would be better suited for a computer with at least a quad core
processor and larger display.
This version will only work on valid firmware released from Mercury v3.1,
Penelope v1.6, Ozy 2.1, Metis v1.6 or Hermes. This is when the
multi-receivers were added to the fpga firmware.

Other than the 2nd receiver the controls and features are the same between
the two versions.

Over the winter months I will work on making the RX2 suitable for both
environments. That is of course if I can overcome the above mentioned
differences.

73,
Doug
W5WC