[hpsdr] re .NET 4.x

George Byrkit ghbyrkit at chartermi.net
Thu Oct 25 16:32:57 PDT 2012

John,

The article says:
"The .NET Framework 4 and earlier versions provided two deployment options: the full .NET
Framework and the Client Profile, which was a subset of the .NET Framework that was
optimized for client applications.

Starting with the .NET Framework 4.5, the Client Profile has been discontinued and only
the full redistributable package is available. Optimizations provided by the .NET
Framework 4.5, such as smaller download size and faster deployment, have eliminated the
need for a separate deployment package. The single redistributable streamlines the
installation process and simplifies your app's deployment options.

When you install the .NET Framework 4.5, the .NET Framework 4 Client Profile is updated to
the full version of the .NET Framework."

OK, that might work, but NOT on XP, since I don't think .Net 4.5 is designed to run on XP.
At least not yet.  There may be some change in status on that.  Currently, VS2012 (which
uses .Net 4.5 and creates apps that use .Net 4.5) CANNOT target WinXP, and will NOT run on
WinXP.  So that's why we are quite insistent about using .Net 4.0.

Yes, if my tests show that the .Net 4.0 Client profile doesn't satisfy the installers, we
will either change the installer's message, or figure out how to change the installer so
that it will work with either.

73,
George K9TRV