[hpsdr] Hermes Documentation

John Marvin jm-hpsdr at themarvins.org
Sat Oct 27 03:38:36 PDT 2012

  Okay, so it appears that the problem is that DEBUG_LEDx doesn't always
equal LEDx as far as the illustrated picture goes (I assume that the
DEBUG_LED order is a hardware bit order, and they don't correspond to
the order on the board due to a board layout optimization). I would
assume that for sanity purposes from a user perspective who doesn't look
at the source code, that the leds should be numbered according to the
order inferred from the illustrated topside Hermes picture, i.e. such
that LEDx = D(20-x). From my observation D12 is the DHCP status led. If
the LEDs are numbered in reverse order then that should be LED8.
However, that corresponds to DEBUG_LED7 according to the mapping below.
So what Phil says is what is true for the source code, but I would think
that the manual should document things in the order they appear on the
board (i.e. LED #'s not DEBUG_LED#'s). Putting things together I think
the mapping is:

LED1 = D19 = DEBUG_LED1
LED2 = D18 = DEBUG_LED2
LED3 = D17 = DEBUG_LED3
LED4 = D16 = DEBUG_LED4
LED5 = D15 = DEBUG_LED5
LED6 = D14 = DEBUG_LED8
LED7 = D13 = DEBUG_LED6
LED8 = D12 = DEBUG_LED7
LED9 = D11 = DEBUG_LED9
LED10 = D10 = DEBUG_LED10

i.e. for leds 6,7 and 8 LEDx != DEBUG_LEDx

Does that make sense, or am I confused? If I'm not confused, should the
documentation in the manual be changed to correspond to the LED order,
rather than the DEBUG_LED order? Other options would be to 1) change the
illustration and document the LED #'s in an out of order sequence so
that LEDx = DEBUG_LEDx (i.e change LEDx so that LEDx always equals
DEBUG_LEDx), or 2) change the source code and schematics in order to
make the DEBUG_LED #'s be in the sequential order that they appear on
the board (i.e. change DEBUG_LEDx so that DEBUG_LEDx always equals LEDx).

Thanks,

John