[hpsdr] Built in Antenna Tuner

M.B.Singh mbsingh at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 01:22:42 PDT 2012

Hi
IMHO, Hams should not look for built-in antenna tuner units in their
transceivers.
Reason being antenna tuner is such a commonly available cheap accessory
but may
spoil the mood of any hams when it doesn't work properly or stops working.

Secondly most built in tuners have limited tuning capabilities as they
cant go beyond
in correcting 3:1 SWR. So you need a resonant antennas anyways.

Yaesu FT-1000 or MP or MKV is a superb transceiver but I have seen many
hams cribbing about
it when it comes to antenna tuner. So a $3000 transceiver may have a bad
reputation because of $150
antenna tuner. ( I have one Mark V but I keep the tuner off in the menu
unless absolutely required)

It make more sense to go for a external tuner and many can be controlled
from the transceiver's tune button
so that it work like internal one and should go something wrong you vent
your ire on tuner manufacturer not
your favorite transceiver.

It is always better to keep things simple or in other words Keep you
complex things simple.
73
Bhanu
VU2MB