[hpsdr] book RF design recommendation

Jim Sanford wb4gcs at wb4gcs.org
Mon Sep 24 17:42:07 PDT 2012

All:

I have been perusing the data sheets on the various 600W and 1200W
devices people are now using at 50 volts.  I note that many of them have
a Vdd max of 100 volts or so.

I know that 50 volts is a nice value and relatively easy to obtain power
supplies.

So, here's the question:  Could these devices be operated at 75 or 90
volts, and what would be the impact?
     Would efficiency go up?  (Suspect yes)
     Would current drain go down?  (probably)
/Would IMD be further improved, like the move from 12 to 50 volts????/

Or is it like the AM days where you had to operate a device at half it's
rating to allow for doubling by the modulation envelope?  I suspect not,
given today's SSB and digital modes, but would be very interested in
what the brilliant people on this list think.

73,
Jim
wb4gcs at amsat.org

PS:  Ulrich, nice to see your post.  I have *_/thoroughly/_* enjoyed
every one of your books that I've read.
Jim