[hpsdr] Hermes VNA - Beta test code

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Tue Sep 25 06:49:00 PDT 2012

Hi Kjell,

Thanks for the feedback and pleased to hear the VNA code appears to be
working.

You can reduce the SWR and RL ranges by checking the  Auto Scale button.
This
will automatically use the max and min values of the data set to scale the
graphs.

As per the User Guide, the numbers in the Results section relate to the last
frequency
in the scan or the measurement frequency if only a Start frequency is
specified.

OK - regarding using lines on the Smith Chart - I'll have a look at that, it
was simple to do
on the graphs but  not so sure how difficult it will be on the Smith Chart.

When you first ran the code - with Hermes connected and powered on as per
the User Guide - then the first thing
that is done is a Discovery on all the Network adapters on your PC.  This
should have found
your Hermes board.  As per the User Guide you can also enter the IP address
of  the Network
adapter that you will be using to connect to Hermes and it will
automatically use that address first.

After the code has successfully located the adapter the details are saved in
VNA.ini and it will try
that adapter IP address first each time the code is run.

The attenuator idea using J1  is fine and that is the way I suggested in the
User Guide.

If you have any measurement problems then save the results in a Measure File
and email to me
- no need to send the associated Calibration File - that way I can use the
data in the file to trace
through the code and see what's going on.

Not sure about the scan stopping - not seen that during development - so may
need a few more folks
testing to track that one down.

73 Phil....VK6APH