[hpsdr] Hermes VNA - Beta test code

Kjell Karlsen la2ni at online.no
Tue Sep 25 01:37:29 PDT 2012

Hi Phil.

Thanks for the VNA code!

I have tested it using a home brew Directional Coupler that is constructed
for use up to 1,5 GHz. It seems to be working OK. I did not get connection
to Hermes without entering the IP address and Hermes MAC that I found in
PowerSDR when connected there.

When I measure, I observed that sometimes during the scan,(1-60 MHz) the
scanning stops at about 1/3 and there is a message (after the line Hermes
Vector Network Analyser -V1.0.0 ):does not answer or not answering
(Depending of the translation from Norwegian!) It then fills the
progression bar and shows a nearly flat SWR line. If I then start another
scan, the scan is normal and the shown SWR is OK.

With this wide scan and connecting an antenna, the SWR scale is from 0 to
100 and the RL from 0 to-100 dB. I would like to manually decrease the
maximum SWR to let say 20 and the RL to 30 dB.

In the Smith chart I would like to have a line drawn between the measuring
points. I reckon this is not yet implemented as the Display selection is
grey?

I do not understand the numbers below Results. Are they for a specific
frequency or what?

I am looking for a simple method to connect the Directional coupler to
Hermes when it is installed together with Apollo. I have installed J1 and
use an attenuator (R17=39 Ohm, R18= 150 Ohm) of around 6 dB. I am not sure
it is wise to have the RX connected to Apollo while the coupler is in use.

This looks very promising!

73, Kjell