[hpsdr] Angelia and Hermes External Clock problem

Mike Collins mikecol at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Aug 19 12:25:30 PDT 2013

Hi Clyde and Helmut,

I have also seen lots of dropouts using the external 10MHz clock input.
All three of my Hermes drop out at different times averaging maybe 1
each minute or even more often.  Sometimes use external signal gen
(synced to same 10MHz GPS) and view Scope display in PowerSDR (DSB with
offset of maybe 1Hz in freq) for longer capture of dropout.

I have also noted the slow risetime on the Hermes 10Mhz diff pair
output.  Have done a lot of simulations and changing of resistor values
with some improvements but still drop outs.  Diff pair good for boosting
signal level but not good enough for making clean digital clock signal
to the FPGA.  Get more dropouts with the scope probe attached :))

The current design on the Hermes and Angelia using the diff pair is
marginal.  The FPGA clock input does not have a schmitt trigger so
responds to noise on the slow edge.  They don't list a min edge speed in
the data sheet; but they should.

What the design really needs is a 3V schmitt trigger buffer (following
the diff pair).  The cleanest thing for me was to make a small "L
shaped" pcb  (1" X .71") that overlays J20 (pin 2,4 10MHz output,
input), J23 pin 2 (3.3VD power), and J24 pns 1 &2 (DGND and jumper for
input connector).  The pcb has DGND on top and 3.3VD on bottom side.  I
used a 74LVC1G14 single schmitt trigger inverter to buffer the signal.
Only thing else on the board is a .1uF across the power for the heck of it.

With this little pcb installed over J20,23,24  the 10MHz is now rock
solid.  Looking at the in vs out on the buffer shows a much faster and
cleaner signal being sent to the FPGA.  Side by side with a stock Hermes
the changes is real noticeable

This little pcb was pretty easy to make with just an exacto knife so I
made 3 of them: one for each Hermes.

I have not seen a single drop out since so think this buffer is
working.  The 74LVC1G14 was a perfect device for this application.

73,  Mike Collins   KF4BQ