[hpsdr] Hermes J16 right speaker polarity

George Byrkit ghbyrkit at chartermi.net
Fri Aug 2 09:10:52 PDT 2013

Dear Dick,
I obviously touched a nerve, when pointing out something that could indeed be improved in
the Hermes manual!  I'm sorry that it upset you, but this matter needs to be cleared up.

It is not a matter of 'opinion', as you put it, where 'pin 1' on an IDC connector is
located!  It is a simple fact established by the designers of the connector.  It is a
standard.  I won't debate a standard any more than I would allow debate as to what the sum
of 2+2 is.  That some people choose to (or accidentally do) not follow this standard is
unfortunate.  When such a circumstance arises, it is very necessary to properly document
what happened, and how it varies from the standard.  Bill provided this valuable
information, indeed!  Now we need to get it into the Hermes manual...

I now understand that the cable was intended to be built with the 'red stripe' (pin 1
indicator on the cable) on the 'wrong end' of the IDC connector, thus swapping rows, and
direction of pin numbering.  Once understood, this quite well explains the disparity.

However, many postings on the list DO NOT make up for not revising the manual to contain
this important information.  If someone like John Ackermann is baffled by what happened,
what can we expect of the much less sophisticated person, or newbie to HPSDR?  We owe it
to them to provide the best information possible, don't you think?

73,
George K9TRV