[hpsdr] Hermes J16 right speaker polarity

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Fri Aug 2 09:50:44 PDT 2013

I didn't realize my question would generate so much discussion! :-)  I
can easily see how the pinout could have been done in a non-standard
way, so my main concern is just making sure that we have it documented
properly.

Due to my compulsive nature (cf time-nuts) I thought it would be good
for both speakers to be phased the same and that's what really triggered
my question.  It's worth reiterating the warning that you can't tie
either speaker output to ground or Bad Things will happen -- on the left
speaker jack, the signals are on tip and ring with sleeve disconnected
and I'm following that plan for the right speaker as well.

FWIW, my project isn't using a ribbon cable at all.  I'm building a
small PCB with a 26 pin right-angle PCB mount connector (non-keyed) that
will plug directly into J16.  So, I just need to know which physical pin
provides which signal, and don't need to worry about the numbering
scheme per se.

My plan is for the other end of the PCB to have six 3.5mm stereo jacks
to provide all the audio I/Os as well as the PTT and key-out signals
(using SMT jacks on both top and bottom of the board, I can fit them
into about the same width as J16).  I'm also including pads for the
open-collector outputs so you can mount a 10 pin header or solder wires
directly to them.

I'm not planning to turn this into a product, but if folks are
interested in joining a one-time PCB purchase, let me know off-line and
maybe we can make that work.  I'm hoping to ship the board layout to the
fab in the next week or so.

73,
John
----