[hpsdr] Help with DSP please

Alberto I2PHD i2phd at weaksignals.com
Sat Aug 10 14:29:46 PDT 2013

On 8/10/2013 9:24 PM, Bob Cowdery wrote:

>  1. /Is there a write up at a block level of SharpDSP because I'm not sure why blocks are ordered as they are. The
>     purpose of most is obvious but I'm a bit confused by the oscillator block which I guess is converting to
>     baseband(?). //
>     /
>  2. // /Demodulation is something I don't fully get. I believe the convolution directly demodulates CW/SSB (and from
>     what I remember can convert to baseband as well) but for other modes demod is tacked on the end of the processing./
>  3. // /When doing the overlap/add method of fast convolution I don't know how one calculates how big the FFT should
>     be or how many taps the filter should have in relation to the sample block size and what the effect of the choice
>     is. Should a small block size (for reduced latency) have a smaller FFT? I've not found a really good algorithm
>     that explains this and many I found seem to differ in approach so I'm not clear on the correct implementation./
>     //
>
> //
>
> /Any pointers appreciated./

Bob,

    a detailed answer would take many pages and hours to write it down.
What I can warmly suggest you is this really excellent book, where all of your questions above
are answered in a clear and tutorial way :

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Digital-Signal-Processing-Edition/dp/0137027419

I have it and I am very glad that a friend a few years ago pointed me to it.

--
/*73 Alberto I2PHD*/