[hpsdr] USB VID/PID

John C. Westmoreland, P.E. john at westmorelandengineering.com
Sat Aug 31 19:46:44 PDT 2013

John,

A lot of vendors, like TI, Microchip, etc. will let you use their VID/PID
at no change as long as a certain volume isn't exceeded.  If and when you
may need your own VID/PID is a 'happy' problem because you are obviously
experiencing good sales.

The problem with the PID only is the VID will still show up.

For that matter, you can 'hack' the PID/VID, but Windoze will say things
like, 'USB Driver isn't certified or whatever' and give you a hard time
installing it -
but it can't stop you.  Part of the money for the USB VID/PID is updating
the USB 'approved database' so that when you do install your own *.inf
files, etc - you have an 'approved VID'.

I was just asking - the stuff I am doing is all embedded anyway - more than
likely Windows or any other OS for that matter will never know about it.

This is going to a wide audience - don't worry - I will use the approved
VIDs/PIDs from the respective vendors - I was just wondering if
OpenHPSDR/TAPR already had one (VID/PID that is).
Once you have your VID the PID's are yours to generate.  The fact that
someone is selling PID's proves PT Barnum's razor IMHO.

73's,
John
AJ6BC