[hpsdr] Homebrew Hermes startup problem

Oliver Goldenstein oliver.goldenstein at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 02:40:31 PST 2013

Hello All !

I finished my hombrew built of a Tapr Hermes board early sunday morning.

After a first power up, the board draws about 0,2 Ampere. (The Powermeter
has no better resolution) All power supplies are ok and the relevant power
leds are glowing. No lights on the staus leds.

I then tried to program the bootloader with active serial programming and
an Entner EEBlaster (USB Blaster compatible). The power at P1 and P2 is
there. I can program, erase, blank check and the Quartus Programmer reports
the Silicon id as 0x14.

But nothing happend after a powercycle.

The same is valid for JTAG programming. I programmed the hermes.sof file
succesfully to the board. the JTAG Chain debugger reports a user programmed
FPGA.

I had it running two times from lets say about 50 tries. All status leds
flashed like they should and i was able to read the config via the
HPSDRProgrammer and also cuSDR was able to find the board. Power was about
0,6 Ampere then.

I had a problem using my stencil during the build and had some poor solder
joints at the FPGA. I think i will go debug connection for connection and
measure the relevant lines.

It seems, that the FPGA does not come out of his legs (has startup
problems).

Any more suggestions. Otherwise i will debug the hardware tonight.

Many thanks in advance.

73 Oliver DL6KBG