[hpsdr] using Mercury to monitor your signal

FRANCIS CARCIA carcia at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 7 16:53:51 PST 2013

Tom,
I have enough leakage through my T/R antenna relay to get a good strong signal  for mercury to monitor. If you want to connect to a line sampler in TX all you need to do is route the RX input to the sampler while in TX. It might just take one more relay at the rx to go normal path or over to the line sampler in TX.Normally the RX is just open while in TX. You won't need any more control signals. I actually use a 1GHz to 2GHz directional coupler in line with my output with the coupled port into my spectrum analyzer At HF the attenuation is high and added a 10dB pad just to keep it from saturating anything. Now you have me thinking that I could use mercury rather than another spectrum analyzer. Be very careful with levels into Mercury. Resistive dividers can be trouble if you don't consider resistor voltage ratings. Many resistors are only rated for a couple hundred volts. Also many resistor types fail with the value actually going lower as they
 light up. I would build a current transformer coupler so there is never a direct connection to the monitor RX.  Frank WA1GFZ