[hpsdr] Janus as soundcard?

Jeremy McDermond mcdermj at xenotropic.com
Mon Feb 4 08:17:18 PST 2013

On Feb 2, 2013, at 9:03 PM, Alfred Green <nu8i at cox.net> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> What seems like many years ago I used the Ozy/Janus combo with my SDR1000 as a lab receiver. Now I have moved on to the Ozy/Mercury/Penelope/Excalibur set and my Janus cards are getting lonely.
> Was there ever anything written to use Janus as a soundcard interface? I know it needs Ozy but I have a spare so that is not an issue.
> I have a need to import high quality audio into Matlab, and while regular soundcards work OK it would be good to use the better performance of Janus.

To my knowledge, nobody has written an audio device driver for Janus/Ozy.  That isn't to say it couldn't be done, it's just that device drivers are rather wonky and specialized and nobody has stepped up to do it yet.  Additionally, any device drivers would probably have to be signed to work in modern Windows versions (or so is my Mac-y understanding), so there will be some cost there.

--
Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
Xenotropic Systems
mcdermj at xenotropic.com