[hpsdr] Using Mercury to monitor final amplifier transmit signal

Tom Cathey K1JJ at comcast.net
Thu Feb 7 23:12:25 PST 2013

Thanks, guys.

Yes, this helps, Joe.

That's what I thought - Merc is receiving the display signal thru the
connector.  So I need to download W5WC's RX1 version to get the duplex to
display an external signal from the amplifier.

It pays to know what the actual final signal is doing for IMD.  The Penny
may be -60 dB 3rd order, but many amplifiers these days are lucky to break
above -30dB.  And with poor tuning or overdriving they can be in the -20's.
This includes some solid state amplifiers that I've tested.

I just built up a very clean 4CX-350FJ  grid driven linear that has about
40Db of gain.  10 mW in and 100 W output.  Penny is the driver.   The cool
thang is the 3rd order IMD measures out to about -50dB when running 25W out.
This is a perfect driver for an 8877.  The IMD bottleneck then becomes the
8877.  That's why I need the high level display - to keep an eye on the 8877
amp.

I'll download the RX1 and give it a go.

Thanks again, Joe!

Tom, K1JJ