[hpsdr] New Metis and Hermes code.

John radio at mediacombb.net
Mon Feb 18 18:01:35 PST 2013

Hi Ken,

The radio works fine now and I really appreciate your help.

I read the new Hermes manual (v 1.16; at the link you sent me) and
studied Appendix A.  Also, I downloaded the Bootloader and .pof files,
but did not put them in the same directory as the installed Bootloader
program.  I followed the first section of Appendix A and it seemed to
load the program.  However, I did not select the .pof file since
Appendix A said use the .rbf file.  Perhaps that EPROM info is in the
.rbf, too.  Everything seemed to go well, but then when I tried
Programmer 2, it erased it and the red dot in the lower right corner was
always red.  Next, I repeated what I had done in Appendix A and it
seemed to work fine again.  This time I never used Programmer 2 and just
opened PowerSDR (the new one).  At first it didn't read the MAC address
or IP address, but I found I could turn on the Hermes and next time I
checked setup, it displayed the IP and MAC as well as the new firmware
version.

So, now I'm way ahead of where I was before I started the upgrade.  This
time, before I try to change the IP address, I would like to be
confident it will do what I want to do.  Perhaps I should leave it as it is.

First of all, for the immediate future, Hermes is the only device I will
have on the Ethernet.  I don't know if it is a DCHP server or not.  It
is an Ethernet card I added a few years ago.  All I would like is to
reduce the time it takes to connect the PC to Hermes (now approximately
a minute after power is applied to Hermes).  Since the software sets the
address of Hermes in Hermes, Hermes with a static IP must somehow make
itself quickly known to the PC (other that letting the PC try each
address to see which answer present), if this is to reduce the time.
Should I let PowerSDR find the IP address and just set that as a static
address with one of the programmers?  Or is there a better way?  Or am
way off course?

Second, I may want to take the rig to our local ham club and run it on
someones laptop.  If Hermes does promote its address to the PC without
being asked, I'm assuming it will work on another PC that has PowerSDR
and the necessary .net files on it.  Is that correct, or will I need to
reset the IP address to 0.0.0.0 at let the other PC check every address
until it finds Hermes?

Best regards,

John,  WoGN