[hpsdr] IMD in Ham transmitters

Kjell Karlsen la2ni at online.no
Tue Jan 22 02:59:38 PST 2013

Hi All.

I think it is better to stay with the "ARRL" definition of IMD products
relative to the PEP level. When I started to work with Spectrum Analysers
back in 1968, the commercial definition followed this and I have not seen
anything else later. The rules, at least then, was that all IMD products
should be -32 dBc refereed to the claimed PEP for the TX.

When using 2 tones, the PEP is 6 dB higher than each of the 2 tones. If 3
tones are used, the PEP is 9 dB higher and so on. It is always necessary
to know the (max) PEP of the PA and the 1dB compression point is very near
this level.

Keith: What you say about the 3 times increase in IM3 is correct at low
levels of the output power. But when the power is near the saturation
point, the IM3 increase more than 3 times the output. Using Hermes as TX
and Mercury as RX it is easy to see this. The broadband OPAMP used in
Hermes and Penny is extremely linear up to 400mW but above, the IM3
increase much more than 3 times.

I think this shows that to know the maximum PEP and refer to this when
measuring IMD is important. But anyway, if you specify the reference, no
problem.

73, Kjell