[hpsdr] Bringing up a home-built Hermes!

Ian Guffick iguffick at iee.org
Fri Jan 25 13:14:31 PST 2013

Hi,

Thanks to some help off-list by Phil Harman, I seem to have things working.
Thank you Phil.

It turns out all of the 3.3V regulators on the board were outputting
2.1V and the 122.88MHz VCXO was not running.
This was due to the 5V switch-mode outputting only 3V. A bit of
re-soldering on U24 and all the supplies are now fine.
Just a note for anyone else in this situation, the bootload mode
worked fine, but the normal Hermes operation would not connect.

I have another question that I hope someone can answer for me. What
current should the Hermes take in receive?
I previously had 250mA from my PSU, with the 5V supply now fixed, I
now have 690mA when turned on and 750mA when connected and receiving.
I thought this seemed a bit high, but nothing is getting hot (that
shouldn't be)!

Regards,
Ian Guffick
G7JXY.