[hpsdr] Updating HPSDR rig

Terry Fox tfox at knology.net
Thu Jul 11 22:13:28 PDT 2013

Hello all.  I am firing back up my HPSDR rig.  I started by updating the
FPGA firmware on Mercury and Penelope.  I ended up having to use Quartus and
a real USB-Blaster, for some reason I could not get Ozy to update the
firmware.

I have the case and Atlas, an LPU, Mercury, Penelope, Alex, and Excaliber.
Since I update the firmware, the LPU seems to not be able to supply enough
5V to the boards.  In fact, It cannot support just the Mercury and Penelope
boards (and Ozy).  I can run all the rest of the boards fine, but if I try
to run just Mercury and Penelope, the LPU 5V shuts down after about 2
minutes.

Is this normal?  Has the firmware in Penelope (and Mercury) been updated to
use enough more of the FPGA fabric that the LPU cannot support this anymore?

Would Metis draw less power than Ozy?  I am doing this in preparation to
moving to a Metis that I'm about to order.
Thanks in advance,
Terry, WB4JFI